The task of building a new home comes with different responsibilities. One such responsibility is to hire the perfect builder and this is the place where the actual dilemma arises, how to choose between a contractor and a home builder.
So, let us take you through the selection of one between a general contractor and a home builder. In this article, you will learn about the comparison and one who is best.
Who would you define a general contractor and a builder?
Although both have the same work of getting a construction completed, yet their process of working differs:
- Among the two, home builders are skilled person in completing the construction work on their own; whereas, General Contractors hire different tradesmen to complete a project. Therefore, here the striking difference is that builders are skilled and contractors are not skilled in making a house or doing the renovation.
- Another major difference is that a contractor hires different tradesmen to do the job, they generally charge a big some of the amounts which include their profit and charges of hired tradesmen. On the contrary, a builder only charges the amount for the work he does. The project cost is billed depending upon the equipment, tools, and materials used.
Has there been any major difference?
Frankly speaking, there is not a big difference as such. For example, in most part of the project, builders sometimes behave like building contractors as they hire skilled tradesmen for the jobs of plumbing, electrical fittings, HVAC installation, etc. just like a general contractor. Therefore, it won’t be right to say that there is much difference; however, there is a slight difference.
The difference is that a generator contractor is never present at the site of construction, whereas a builder is always there from the beginning of the construction until the end.
So, before you choose anyone, make sure you choose on the behalf of benefits they would provide in your case. Also, check the efficiency of each and then decide whom to select and not.
What qualities should a home builder have?
If you are ready to select a builder and browsing the list of new home builders in the UK, then they all fulfill the below-mentioned criteria. The builder must; –
- Have wards and accomplishment working on major projects
- Have a license to work in the UK
- Have insurance to cover liabilities and compensation, if something happens to him
- Give all peculiarities in writing
- Not charge haphazardly
- Be reliable and affordable
- Have a good experience in the industry
- Have a list of satisfied customers
- Be ready to give references
- Not deny whatever he promised at first
- Not lie to get the project
- Build a home with a great resale value
- Follow the environment-friendly attributes and sustainability rules
- Adhere to construction laws abiding the state and
So, hope that this article has guided your way out and presented a suitable comparison between a general contractor and a builder.
Best of luck with your final selection.