UK is a global leader in the boiler making industry and it has become one by maintaining very high standards of boiler regulations. Thus to keep up with the energy needs and time, the authorities have introduced a new set of boiler regulation, also known as Boiler Plus in the UK.
Some of the new boiler service regulations are discussed below:
- When a gas combination boiler is installed, an additional energy efficiency measure will be required. The regulations are not rigid but are flexible enough to be inclusive of all the UK home requirements.
There are various energy-saving technologies one can opt for like:
Flue gas heat recovery systems: These boilers use 4% less gas to produce the same amount of energy as the conventional gas combination boiler. They can also reuse the heat from the boiler that’s usually lost.
Weather Compensation: These boiler thermostats adjust the radiator temperature based on the temperature outside the building. Though they are costlier than conventional thermostats, they save a lot of money in the long run and also when heat is on for longer period of time.
Load Compensation: It work similar to weather compensation thermostats by heating up more when it’s cold outside and vice-versa.
Smart controls featuring automation and optimization functions: This allows the customer to control the heating through a tablet or smartphone from anywhere and keep track of heating.
- The new Boiler regulations are applicable to all the boilers installed after April 6th, 2018: it is not mandatory for people to change their boilers. The new regulations just are in place to ensure that if and when the people in UK change their boilers, they get the most energy efficient gas boiler services in place.
- The new rules only applicable for consumers who are installing new boilers or replacing their current boilers and there is no need of retrofitting boilers.
- A boiler below 92% ErP does not comply with Boiler Plus regulations. One can’t use a boiler of less than 92% ErP efficiency and bring it up to 92% ErP by adding other components like an additional weather compensator.
- The Domestic Building Services Compliance Guide identifies the technologies in scope and provides descriptions based on SAP definitions, so TPI controls are not included.
- Engineers who install boilers which do not abide by the new regulations will be deemed as breaking the law. They can be prosecuted by Building Control, referred as a safety concern to the HSE by The Gas and Safety Register.
The government is well aware of the fact that more focus should be given on heating driven by renewable sources of energy to meet the target carbon emission goals but in the meantime, it is important to focus on reducing pollution due to already existing heating systems. One may be concerned with the cost of replacing boilers or boiler service cost at home but it’s just a onetime thing. The money spent on boilers will eventually be recovered on its own from the reduction in electricity bills. The new regulations focus on the safety, cost-effectivity of boilers and reflect the government’s concern and approach toward global climate change.