It is definitely no new fact that the elements of weather like sunlight, rain, and wind are not controlled by us. Again, the weather has a significant impact on everything on earth. Harsh weather could be detrimental and damaging on many aspects and process on this planet. The construction industry is by far, the most severely hit by inclement weather conditions. But, this does not mean that we would allow the weather conditions play according to its own rules. As humans, we should try to find out solutions in order to tackle the inclement weather conditions.
Here follow a few ways in which we can minimize the effect and impact of weather on the construction industry:
- Understand the weather of the area very well: this is perhaps the first step for any kind of process. You must first understand the basic conditions very well before beginning anything. The same theory applies to the construction companies UK as well. Before commencing any kind of project, the builders must form a very clear and fair idea of the weather of the place. This would enable them to formulate strategies to counter the impact of weather on the construction process.
- Strategic planning of activities: planning the activities according to the weather would be of great help in mitigating the impact. The activities that could be affected by rain like earthworks should be planned during the period when there would be no rains. When planning is completed, the building construction should be completed before the starting of the rainy season. Activities like roofing and lifting of large loads should be planned before the windy period.
- Formulating construction alternatives: finding out alternative foundation techniques and construction solutions could help the construction industry UK to tackle harsh weather in a great way. Certain parts and modules could be manufactured or precast in parts in order to reduce the work done.
- Modification of working time: the construction working time could be modified to avoid the inclement weather. For instance, during the summer months, maximum of the work could be done in the early morning hours in order to avoid the heat.
- Be ready with protection measures: construction companies UK must be prepared with protection measures in case an accident occurs due to the impact of weather. This also means that the construction activities must be rescheduled in order to tackle the damage caused by the weather. Temporary roads must be built to be prepared for any case of accidents like roads getting flooded during the rainy season. The builders should also be prepared with extra water pumps.
The construction industry UK faces the brunt of the whimsicalities of weather throughout the year but with some judicious thinking, the impact of weather on the buildings and the construction industry could be minimized to a great extent. Although it is a universal truth that the effect of weather could never be avoided altogether but certainly there are ways in which their effect can be reduced.